This Post Has 56 Comments

  1. Wood

    Thank you so much for the detailed postal service! I'grand about to practice this for my 2019 Ford Transit and I'm hoping my experience at the DMV in Truckee goes equally smoothly. My van cost $34K and I did a lot of the conversion myself, only I paid well-nigh $5K to take a store do some electrical and finishing work.

    If you don't mind, I've got a few questions for yous:

    On the Reg 256A grade:
    1) Did you select option two (modified by licensed van converter) or the terminal option that merely wants a date information technology was completed?
    2) Did you leave the remainder of that section blank (cost before and cost of changes) and the DMV didn't have a problem with that? I'm shocked they'd let you lot leave that blank.

    I'1000 thinking most seeing if they let me leave that blank, merely, if they require it, so selecting the van converter pick and listing the $34K earlier cost and $5K conversion price.

    On the Reg 256 course:
    3) Did you leave the current market place value and change costs blank? Whatever push button back from DMV on that?

    If they inquire me to make full that in, I'm thinking of putting the current KBB value of the van and the $5K conversion cost.

    Thanks!

    Forest

    1. ourkaravan

      Hi, thanks for the comment. Regarding your questions:
      ane) I put a completed date since my van was cocky-built;
      2 and 3) If yous await at the 256A form, there is a "0" pre-printed in the total cost column. I'1000 not sure why the nil is there only I likewise don't see them asking you to arbitrarily cantankerous it out and put a number there. Mine was left entirely blank.
      What you stated almost the conversion cost (if they ask) seems reasonable to me. Permit's hope they do not become there.

      Please let the states know how it goes, and good luck.

      1. Woods

        Got information technology done this morn, then I wanted to share my experience:
        1) I filled out Reg 256 and Reg 256A and brought the receipt for the $5K van piece of work from licensed converter in Sacramento
        2) For vehicle value, I put down the current KBB value ($22K) and checked that a licensed store did the conversion at a value of $5K
        three) DMV guy was nice, only he had never washed this task earlier and needed about 5 minutes to read through employee instructions
        four) He confirmed that I provided all of the right forms, asked me what I did to the van, stood up and looked out the window at my van in parking lot, made a re-create of the van conversion receipt, ask his supervisor if he needed to go out and confirm annihilation on the van, told no, and so completed the process and gave me new plates and registration.
        5) I was hoping that he'd lower my VLF class since I provided a lower total price of the van compared to when I bought it new, but that didn't change with the new registration.

        Cheers over again for sharing your experience. I recollect bringing the forms pre-filled and explaining the process to the DMV employee made things go smoothly. I think it could take gone sideways if I walked in and asked him what I needed to do (he didn't take a clue).

        1. ourkaravan

          Curious, did he ask you to make full out the value? The fact that the form is preprinted with "$0.00" in the total column makes me think it's not something they are concerned with. Thank you for sharing your experience.

          1. No, I decided to fill in the values beforehand. I figured I might get a chance to lower the assessed value of my van. Worst case, it would be ignored and non change my VLF course (which is what happened).

            The forms are editable PDF's (when online). The $0 in the full value box is a formula that volition change when you put in the before and after values. You lot're right, if you merely impress the form, $0 is printed in that box if yous leave the before and later values blank.

          2. ourkaravan

            Cheers again for sharing your feel. In the end, information technology sounds like y'all ended up with the same effect.

        2. Joyce Y

          Foster, if you don't listen my asking, what's the name
          Of the conversion visitor you used in Sacramento? I'm not likewise far from there. Thanks in advance!

        3. Christopher Christian

          No one is touched on a very important factor for me I am unable to become an insurance quote considering the VIN is listed in the commercial vehicle and the insurance only volition quote me a commercial price how do I go by this?

          1. ourkaravan

            It actually depends on the insurance company, they all treat van conversions differently.

      2. Joyce Y

        Give thanks you lot for sharing this information! I'one thousand going through this at present. Just a fleck unlike scenario in that I bought it new and converted through a dealer in another state. Fingers crossed I won't have issues.

      3. @thevibe_raider

        Thank you for the write up.. I'm in the process of doing this. I did the conversion myself. I ran into a snag with the DMV asking for "proof of ownership of parts put in vehicle for conversion" what?????
        I'm lucky I have most of the receipts. I'm going to attempted to go back and hand them a stack of Amazon invoices and Home Depot receipts. This doesn't make sense to me…. they did the verification and know what's in the back ? … I ain the vehicle, how could you want proof?????

        1. ourkaravan

          I tin come across an insurance visitor asking for receipts, but it makes no sense for the DMV to…I but think the clerk you had doesn't understand. I believe I posted a link to the regulations, and I don't believe you'll find annihilation in there almost receipts. On the other hand I gauge y'all could dump them on the clerk simply to consummate the process and not start over with someone else.

  2. Travisvasquez77

    Hey! Thanks for such an informative postal service. Question, whatsoever update on the insurance portion of this process? I'chiliad eager to know how it has gone or what you have learned.

    1. ourkaravan

      Hello, Getting the vehicle re-titled was the first part of that procedure. I have not started the insurance part of my shopping yet.

      1. J.Mike

        Were you able to get setup with a reasonable insurance policy withal? If you happen to know of how it can be washed, please exercise tell. I'1000 at my wits stop..
        I picked up a step van which had already been retitled every bit a motorhome & I tin can't get an insurance policy to save my life here in California. Maybe I'k asking the wrong questions, not saying the right matter?…

        1. ourkaravan

          I even so haven't washed it. I retrieve the best road is to go to an insurance agent in-person, have them look at what you lot've got and let them tell you what options they can offer. Many will offer an insurance rider as opposed to an RV insurance policy. At that point it'due south but a matter of weighing the almanac cost vs self-insuring. If the van is stolen or totaled, you're out. If it's involved in an accident and written-off (probably the most likely scenario), hopefully you could transfer the build to another van. That'southward my thinking anyhow. I do intend to shop around, but probably postal service-covid.

          1. J.Mike

            I was able to finally find an insurance lady that could get my conversion insured.. I recommend bringing your commercial conversion rig to Stockton, California when/if ya got the time, so pics can be taken of your rig past the lady.. I also recommend pay up front.. I don't know if it's cheap, I paid close to a grand for the unabridged policy, for the full fourth dimension + full coverage policy.. for reference.. I call up it's worth information technology just to even accept insurance on the conversion..

            With Permission from her, I give her info out:

            Norma Aslami @ 445 W.Weber Artery Ste 136, Stockton CA 95203 – License # 0D24914

            I hope this helps, I didn't add together her phone number so she doesn't become annoying calls concerning this.. If you have the conversion RV title/registration in hand with the vehicle & yous go there when the function is open (9am to 5pm weekdays), yous should be practiced to go..

            Geico was my insurer for my last RV & turned me down for my current conversion.. so did a hand full of other phone-"centric" insurance companies..
            You tin can ship them all the pics of your rig all'ya want.. they don't approve them..(weird, right?)

            No One on the phone would would insure information technology.. I wasn't sure why either.. I was under the singled-out impression if California ("virtually strict state") would permit the conversion to proceed in the get-go place, the insurance companies wouldn't have any trouble insuring it, male child was I wrong..
            California is strict plenty with converting Commercial vehicles to RV/Camper status & turning in the commercial plates for not-commercial plates.. later on y'all succeed in that, Insurance is no easier, it seems..

            I bought a 1988 gas Chevy Stride Van P30 conversion to RV, that had the Non-Commercial License Plates.. I did mention to the insurance lady my P30 conversion was a short Class-A conversion (24ft), non a class-c (or B).. I've seen Allegro Class-A RVs on a P30 chassis before, for reference..

            I promise this helps

          2. ourkaravan

            Give thanks you, I appreciate the boosted information.

  3. Spann

    Cheers for this tip. I wouldn't take known to do this.
    It took me three trips to the DMV but worth the effort to get my original title right the first time.

    1. ourkaravan

      Glad it helped! Just curious, why the extra trips? Did they crave something additional?

  4. J.mike

    Now that California CARB kicked in this year for Banning the commercial vehicles with Diesel engines older than 2010, will converting an older diesel fuel commercial vehicle to camper be hindered?
    ..I want to purchase & non-op an older ('90s) commercial diesel van with a U-Haul type box on it (or step van), until I had all the required parts in information technology, then do the Title change..
    Also, is there a limit on historic period of the commercial vehicle to convert in CA, with or without the new Ban?
    Thanks

    1. ourkaravan

      Hi, these are areas where I have no expertise. Perhaps someone reading this has an answer.

  5. Dongoose

    I'grand also in California, read this a while back and merely got my permanent registration and plates from the DMV last week. I volition likely exercise what yous did regarding registration when the conversion is done…two interesting things on the registration/insurance front:

    i. Though my title is indeed commercial, the BTM is listed equally "MH" which according to the DMV website ways "Motorized Dwelling house." Curious as information technology is a coiffure van that was used by a motorcycle customizer to transport fancy bikes to motorcycle shows and events, and has no innate motor habitation features. I bought it from a motorcar dealership, but found the background out through the registration that was still in the glovebox (here she is before she was mine: https://www.instagram.com/p/B32BwWthuI4/ )

    2. Nosotros have all our machine and home insurance through Allstate and they suggested insuring it as a class B motorhome and requested no registration information, proof of habitation, or whatsoever other prove that it is (or volition be) a camper van. When I asked nigh the level of coverage they recommended the same limits equally our passenger cars, said the policy would embrace the base vehicle (so in my instance, whatever they determined the value of a 2017 Crew 2500 170 with Twenty mileage at time of incident) and and then at that place was a rider for contents which I stated as $15,000 for the build out (and may enhance after). Initially they said that coverage would up the premiums, but when they actually sent me the quote, that $15k was listed specifically but it was covered under the comprehensive, and plainly toll nothing extra. But to ballpark it, insurance on the van is about $400 every half-dozen months.

    Be curious to hear what you uncover on the insurance front.

    1. ourkaravan

      Nice looking van! That'south interesting that information technology has the MH designation, information technology definitely doesn't hurt. I wasn't sure if there were pros and cons of going with "camper van" vs "motorhome," but I tin can't imagine information technology matters.
      I really appreciate you sharing your feel with Allstate. I may go there first. I will be trying to strike a balance betwixt declared value and the overall cost of the insurance. Thanks over again!

  6. Mike

    Thanks Ken for a great write-up! I had not been back to check on your resources in awhile since I largely finished my build in the fall merely while searching for info on registration, google brought me back to your site:) I think I follow the VLF concerns from the perspective of keeping your full registration fees as low every bit possible. My question is will my insurance know what values I written report to the DMV? Also, the zeros are on the grade because the e-version of the course is an embedded equation that automatically adds the vehicle value and toll of modifications together.
    Cheers,
    Mike

    1. ourkaravan

      Howdy Mike, happy to run across y'all back and that google is finding the site. Your question is a adept one. I don't think DMV talks to the insurance companies. And I believe if you initiate the procedure with DMV and they indicate they will be raising the value of the vehicle, I would retrieve you would take the option of pulling out of the process. Just a thought. From reading through the comments one other person said the value part of the form was ignored too. No i has indicated a change in value so far. -Ken

  7. Greg

    Awesome write upwards, really appreciate the help! Quick question: I noticed on the photo of the Reg form 31 that DMV filled out, at the meridian the box is checked "None" for licenses plates on vehicle. Was this because you had to turn in the erstwhile plates, or did you not have any plates on the vehicle when yous went to the DMV?

    Thank you!

    1. ourkaravan

      Correct, DMV nerveless my commercial plates and exchanged them for the not-commercial ones. Cheers for visiting! -ken

  8. Ed

    This should work for a diesel box truck…..theoretically.. right lol. I didn't read anything that would state otherwise on that form. It looks like it just needs to be converted into a camper legitimately and not just used every bit a loophole for businesses

    1. ourkaravan

      I would call back so, as long as it meets the requirements. Empty cargo van or empty box truck, no deviation in my listen!

  9. Steve

    Has anybody converted a large diesel fuel truck to an RV here in California? The new CARB police force states that if the GVWR — Sticker institute on the drivers door jam— Is over xiv,000 pounds they won't register your vehicle.
    Is this law stopping big diesel van conversions here in California?

    1. ourkaravan

      Interesting, hopefully others can comment as I accept no feel in that weight class.

  10. Then, I am ownership a 2007 Ford e350 Utility Box Van tomorrow. It is currently listed as a commercial vehicle equally it was used as a work truck previously. I volition be converting it over the next ii months and the living in it total time for at to the lowest degree the adjacent year. What process should I take in one case I purchase the vehicle? I thought I needed to register the vehicle asap and get information technology insured asap? It won't be campervan-ish for at least 1.five months of build time, so if I try to register and insure it, it won't meet the concrete requirements to be retitled as a Campervan or insured as a Campervan. I estimate what Im request is what actions should I accept after purchasing from the private party to best save money, classify the vehicle properly, and get it insured properly. I am in California besides. Thank you for any communication!

    1. ourkaravan

      It's tricky. I needed to accept the infrastructure in place in order for the DMV to inspect and approve the reclassification. And an insurance company won't insure a "proposed build." Unfortunately I retrieve that puts many of us in a position where we are self-insuring during the course of our builds. That's unless you lot desire to exercise some sort of insurance rider policy. I would discuss your all-time options with various insurance providers.
      I don't think I would sweat the modify in vehicle nomenclature right at present. The insurance aspect is more important though.

  11. Ron

    Thought I would share my recent experience. My married woman and I recently purchased a van out of state and also had the conversion done out of country. We simply drove her dwelling to California. Afterward reading this swell article I was prepared to do the DMV 2 stride….first getting the van titled and registered in California and and then coming back to have the BTM reclassified (thought I would have to have a California title first). I was pleasantly surprised to take information technology all completed in 1 visit. When the DMV employee inspected the van for VIN confirmation he detect the conversion and designated the van as BTM type MH. So basically it was classified correctly right from the get become. One thing I will share to those buying out of land….your van volition demand to be smogged prior to this process even if it was new like ours was. Thanks for the great write upward!!

    1. ourkaravan

      Great to know, thank you for taking the fourth dimension to post! -Ken

    2. John

      Hello Ron, thanks for the info. I was wondering if DMV charged you the difference of sales tax for the van conversion if the other state has a lower revenue enhancement.
      I'm in Cali, also purchased my van in another land, and got it converted out of land as well. The builder gave me two invoices: one for parts which was taxed their state revenue enhancement, another for labor which was not taxed. I wonder if Cali would charge additional revenue enhancement for labor. Your insight would exist appreciated.

  12. Ed

    I will be buying a diesel fuel box truck this weekend with the weight at xiv,500. I will be converting the truck so wish me luck. Thought I would post for more than information. California ughhh! No box I will be edifice my ain. Thinking virtually mounting my truck camper and see if that will wing with the DMV…If not I volition only await but the truck will exist bought… and so I am committed.

    1. ourkaravan

      I would wait…you lot demand certain equipment in social club to exist considered a camper/RV etc.

  13. Eric in Berkeley

    Possibly the DMV employee who helped you used REG 256 and not REG 256A considering information technology's a camper van, and not a motor home, for camping ground, not "home." That would also explicate the lack of checking for a toilet, which seems to be required for MH condition.

  14. Ed

    Well its done. I am fortunate that the possessor had it registered as not-op. Build volition first before long. Ill go on you guys posted when I become to the DMV

  15. James

    Well done!

    One question – did the DMV refund your commercial fees from the twenty-four hours you lot registered the vehicle until the day you converted it? Ie. Did they retroactively refund your fees since information technology wasn't a commercial vehicle.

    1. ourkaravan

      Good question, I don't recall exactly. I'chiliad thinking no but possibly its possible.

  16. Doug F

    Regarding "Licensed Upfitter" who are they licensed with? If a Vendor/Upfitter in Oregon does work on the van is the work recognized in California? If Vendors practise role of the work but the van owner does the rest, I'thousand thinking the 3rd box is what is checked… Right?

    Whatsoever Comments"

  17. Millie Cruz

    Thank y'all for the information. I alive in Massachusetts and I but bought at 2006 ford Van to catechumen into at mini camper for personal use. I hope we tin convert the tittle and be able to register equally personal employ.

    This info helps a lot, nosotros are working to get the info. for Massachusetts RMV

  18. Anto

    Hello. Firstly, thank yous for giving people the right information. Secondly, I accept a 2021 ford transit-350 cargo van and I take information technology on a lien. My problem is that my local DMV and my lienholder( Ford ) don't know what they demand from me exactly
    and everyone I have talk to at the DMV or Ford have given a unlike answer every fourth dimension. I am trying to convert my commercial van into a camper and then I told Ford to ship a copy of the pink slip to the DMV. It took vii weeks and now the DMV says that they need the original car title, not a copy. And then I go home and call Ford once more and I talked for an 60 minutes only to understand that my car has an electronic championship and because of that, they can't ship the original to the DMV. I go dorsum to the DMV to explain what happened and the DMV says that our papers with stamps, along with the title, needs to be written as paperless for them to take it. So I go home over again and telephone call Ford for them to do that but Ford says I have the original paper championship this time and they can't write paperless on it anymore. I don't understand what to practice and both places have me going back and forward with dissimilar bits of information conflicting with the final. The DMV doesn't pick of their calls either so I keep having to expect i hour in line. What can I do? What do I need to say tell them? Thank yous if yous can help usa.

    1. Mida

      How-do-you-do Anto, were you able to get a copy of your title? I'm about to start this process and concerned about asking a copy of the my title from my lienholder. Does this cause a red flag of any sort with them? Can an auto lender cancel my loan if I make changes to the registration? Maybe I'm overthinking the process 🧐 thank you for whatsoever input!

  19. Leroy B.

    Thank y'all for this write-up. Really appreciate the time and endeavor you put into your video and posts.
    I just picked up my 2021 Sprinter cargo van. I will be converting this myself over the next six-12 months (fingers crossed). Since the van hasn't been converted and still a cargo van, would I exist able to insure it as a not-commercial passenger van? Thanks!

    1. ourkaravan

      Thanks for the kind words, and congrats on the new van! I highly dubiety you'll be able to annals it non-commercial as it doesn't have seating to make it a passenger van and doesn't have the necessary fixtures to annals it as a camper van or RV. They will need to do an inspection to confirm the BTM (body type model) change, and I don't believe in that location's anything to justify the modify at this time. -Ken

  20. Scott

    Thank you for the info. I was able to register information technology non-commercial in thirty minutes. They didn't fifty-fifty bother to check out my camper van. ;^)

    1. ourkaravan

      Nice, thanks for reporting dorsum! (They actually should have done an inspection to confirm the conversion but it worked in your favor!)

  21. Lance

    I tried last year. No physical title / pink slip
    So at present van is mine. No lien. Went back
    Basically told. Yes information technology can be done with forms, inspection and RECEIPTS.
    You will eliminate the commercial designation and not take weight fees, however the VLF value will increase thus in California y'all will non save $$ on registration. Y'all could actually pay more. Pretty difficult to have a customized van with all the required stuff inside to make information technology habitable and say you just paid a few 1000 For the parts.

    1. ourkaravan

      Thank you for sharing your experience. This is the first time I've heard of any DMV employee asking for receipts or a value. The fact that the DMV form is pre-filled out with a "$0" total in the value cavalcade is confusing–you'd take to cantankerous out the $0 value and write in your own, and I'm not sure why a person would practise that or why a DMV employee would ask a person to do that. Perhaps get in on a unlike day–I suspect you'll have a different experience with a different employee.

  22. Phil

    Once again, invaluable data here on your site that'due south actually difficult to get anywhere else. I've got my DMV appt. Gonna give it a try. My hesitations are this:

    Are they gonna reassess the value of my conversion at Covid inflated prices? (Have you seen what people are paying for used vans these days?) and
    Will this have whatsoever bear upon on my insurance rates? (So far the give-and-take I get my my agent is that the DMV has to make the changes to the data associated with the VIN for insurance company to quote a price.)

    Would love to hear if you or anybody else has any experience with this. Promise its possible to arrest the DMV process if I don't like where the VLF talk is going.

    1. ourkaravan

      Hi, I don't think anyone at DMV has the authorization to endeavour and estimate what the value of your vehicle might be. If they were to try and become you to put in a value in the cells that are pre-typed "0", y'all might desire to come back on a different twenty-four hours and work with someone else. If you kickoff down this process and you lot don't similar the direction it'southward headed, you exercise not have to file the paperwork. I certainly sympathize your concern at that place.
      Your insurance will likely go downwardly considering you lot'll move from commercial van insurance to RV insurance.

  23. Ty

    Ok, then my Credit Union volition not finance a camper van. Does anyone know one that will? I'm trying to encounter what do, commercial involvement rates are crazy so I was going to buy as commercial, re-register it and refinance with a bank/credit union. I am open to any ideas on the best fashion to go about this. Banks, lenders that give good rates and camper cans would be absurd.